Sunday, September 26, 2010

Quick Trip Out West

My siblings, parents, sister-in-law and I took a quick trip to Utah and Idaho to attend my Aunt Kathy's (my mom's brother's wife) funeral.  It was a trip full of so many emotions.  It was so fun being with my family and seeing relatives I haven't seen in years, but the reason for the trip was so sad.  Aunt Kathy's passing was so sudden and unexpected and she will be missed greatly.  I wish we could have taken this trip under different circumstances, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to reconnect with so many loved ones.

We first stopped in Idaho to visit my grandpa, aunts, uncles and cousins on my dad's side of the family.


This is us at my grandpa's house.  We had the best meal with garden fresh corn on the cob and watermelon.  Thanks, you guys!


Just the kids.  I never go on trips with just my siblings.  It was funny settling back into our old family roles.  Suzanne will attest that the family dynamics were quite entertaining.


We stopped at the fair on our way out to see my dad's older brother, his wife, their kids and their grandkids.  What a fun group!  It was so fun to see all of you!!!


The night before the funeral, we went to a special dinner in Salt Lake.  I got to see cousins I haven't seen in forever.  It had been about 20 years since I'd seen Mike, the cousin sitting next to me.


Before the funeral with my dad's sister and her family.....the lighting was a little bad in this one.


We ran out of gas on I-15 on our way back from the funeral.  It was quite the adventure.  We managed to coast to an exit ramp and came to a stop right across from an abandoned gas station.  Go figure.



A nice lady stopped and took Nelson to get some gas.  We were back on the road in no time and got a good laugh at the situation.  My dad swears he'd never run out of gas before.  It was just funny that we were all there to witness it.    

0 comments: